I found an awesome pin on Pinterest giving a tutorial on how to DIY your own ombre napkins for a chic beach themed wedding reception. I thought the same thing would be cool for the next party I’d be hosting, which will be a summer chic gathering, with the colors apple green and white. Anytime I see this color combo, it makes me feel refreshed and relaxed. So my party next month will be just that!
So here’s the recipe that I modified a bit…
- You will need this…
- Prep your water first. I simply kettle boiled water, dumped it in a bucket using 1 part dye to 8 parts water. I was limited to using the liquid RIT dye since the color I wanted was only available in liquid form, however, I hear that the powdered form is the best.
- Before I began the dying process, I prepped each napkin by wetting it with hot water. I then folded my napkin in half, dipping the bottom 1/3 into the dye for 5 seconds, leaving the top folded edge untouched. I then repeated the same process except dipping about 2/3 into the dye for 10 seconds.
- I then squeezed out the excess dyed water and laid it out on a towel.
- I repeated this process until all of my napkins were dyed.
- Next, I took each napkin and once again dipped only the very bottom in the dye for about 20 seconds, just to give it that extra dark contrast.
- I squeezed out the excess dye again, and set it out to dry.
- I let the napkins sit out to dry over night.
- In the morning I rinsed all the napkins in cold water and hand washed them with only a small amount of mild detergent.
- I squeezed out the excess water and threw them in the dryer as a normal load.
- Next, I ironed each napkin, folded them to my desired look and viola! Chic ombre dinner napkins!